Thursday, 12 January 2012

Grounded

"But I want to go and chase the carrots in the field!", I cried.

"No, Bob Tail Rabbit," said Big Boss Bunny. "You've not being doing your work. Look at that blog of yours: not a single drawing on there for months and months and months. You're not going out until you've done something. Consider yourself grounded."

I sulked off to my studio. Through the window, I could see some of the other rabbits chasing the carrots.

Rabbit looking out of the window


I cleared away a patch of dust, and sat next to my easel.

Rabbit sitting next to an easel


I stared at my paintbrushes, and they stared at me. "We haven't seen you in a long time," they seem to say.

Then I looked at a blank piece of paper for quite a long time.

Rabbit looking at a blank piece of paper


It stayed blank.

Suddenly, I had an idea! I wound up the computer, and logged onto Rabbitbook.

rabbitbook


Four hours later, I still couldn't think of anything to draw.

I went back to Big Boss Bunny. "It's no good, I can't think of anything to draw. The muse is not with me. I have no inspiration."

"Bah," said Big Boss Bunny. "Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work."*

I went back to the studio, picked up a pencil, and started to draw. Anything. I drew a carrot and a cat and a tree and a bird and a rabbit.

Rabbit drawing a rabbit


But I still couldn't think of anything I wanted to draw. I squeezed some paint onto my palette and stood in front of the easel.

Rabbit painting at an easel


I did a quick sketch of Clarissa with her enigmatic smile.

Bunna Lisa


But I still couldn't think of anything I wanted to draw.

"I'm telling you, I can't think of anything to draw!" I almost shouted at Big Boss Bunny.

"Oh, you silly rabbit," said Big Boss Bunny. "Look: you've drawn everything you've done! The inspiration was around you all the time. Now you can go out, and chase the carrots. Good rabbit."


* Big Boss Bunny has been reading Mr Chuck Close.

7 comments:

  1. Very cute and nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so excellent...I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genial. I love it! Rabbitbook - Quick buy that domain and catbook too, there's gold in them thare hills... ^_^ (Love your 'my new camera' post too BTW) looking forward to more excellence in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A super little story what a good bunny you are for burrowing down and getting to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously awesome. What a great post! I really love your illustrations and creative writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Very funny too! Completely unexpected and different and clever AND witty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to see the bunnies are back! Love the story (can I have an account on Rabbitbook as well?)

    ReplyDelete