Grounded

12 January 2012

"But I want to go and chase the carrots in the field!", I cried.

"No, Bob Tail Rabbit," said Big Boss Bunny. "You've not being doing your work. Look at that blog of yours: not a single drawing on there for months and months and months. You're not going out until you've done something. Consider yourself grounded."

I sulked off to my studio. Through the window, I could see some of the other rabbits chasing the carrots.

Rabbit looking out of the window


I cleared away a patch of dust, and sat next to my easel.

Rabbit sitting next to an easel


I stared at my paintbrushes, and they stared at me. "We haven't seen you in a long time," they seem to say.

Then I looked at a blank piece of paper for quite a long time.

Rabbit looking at a blank piece of paper


It stayed blank.

Suddenly, I had an idea! I wound up the computer, and logged onto Rabbitbook.

rabbitbook


Four hours later, I still couldn't think of anything to draw.

I went back to Big Boss Bunny. "It's no good, I can't think of anything to draw. The muse is not with me. I have no inspiration."

"Bah," said Big Boss Bunny. "Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work."*

I went back to the studio, picked up a pencil, and started to draw. Anything. I drew a carrot and a cat and a tree and a bird and a rabbit.

Rabbit drawing a rabbit


But I still couldn't think of anything I wanted to draw. I squeezed some paint onto my palette and stood in front of the easel.

Rabbit painting at an easel


I did a quick sketch of Clarissa with her enigmatic smile.

Bunna Lisa


But I still couldn't think of anything I wanted to draw.

"I'm telling you, I can't think of anything to draw!" I almost shouted at Big Boss Bunny.

"Oh, you silly rabbit," said Big Boss Bunny. "Look: you've drawn everything you've done! The inspiration was around you all the time. Now you can go out, and chase the carrots. Good rabbit."


* Big Boss Bunny has been reading Mr Chuck Close.